Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Solar Battery Charger

A few posts ago, I talked about my switch to better rechargable batteries. (click here for post) What I didn't tell you was the rest of my new system: I charge them with the sun. I bought a solar battery charger (see picture). The meter tells you how much power you are generating and is calibrated to tell you how long each size of battery will take to charge (at the given light intensity). This charger willl charge D, C, AA and AAA batteries.
Tip: I prop the cover open a little with a soda bottle cap so that the inside doesn't heat up too much. I bought mine on eBay, from the online store: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/LA-Liquidators2-INC
(search for "universal solar battery charger"). I paid about $25 with shipping. You can also get it at SmartHome http://www.smarthome.com/50616/Solar-Powered-Ni-MH-Ni-Cd-Battery-Charger-SBC/p.aspx, but it's more expensive.
There are many other models available, but I like this one because of the meter (which helps me aim it at the sun for optimum light) and the fact that it can handle all four battery types.
Be green! Charge with the sun!

No comments:

Mac and Cheese Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles. The college student's treat. The staple of the thrifty. The ultimate convenience food. So here's another ramen noodl...