Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Better Rechargeable Battery

I've never been a fan of rechargeable batteries. I like them in theory, but they never seem to last very long. It turns out some of the problem is that conventional NiCd and NiMh batteries will lose their charge just sitting around. This is known as "self-discharge."

There is a new kind of rechargeable battery - a "LOW self-discharge" (lsd). Rather than the charge lasting 1-2 months, these lsd batteries can last up to a year. When you buy them they are fully charged - you can use them immediately.

So I bought a few - I love them. I bought Titanium Enduro LSD batteries from Battery Junction, but there are others. Besides the Titanium brand, I also know of the Sanyo Eneloop. Click here for an excellent website regarding lsd batteries.

It's not just a green idea, it's also cheaper than buying endless piles of single-use batteries.

No comments:

Mac and Cheese Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles. The college student's treat. The staple of the thrifty. The ultimate convenience food. So here's another ramen noodl...