Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Ultimate Answering Machine

I agree with "Dear Abbey." My telephone is for my convenience, not for those who wish to sell me something. Telephone answering machines are pretty old technology. Oh, sure, they feature digital recording, but basically, all they do is record a message from whoever wants to leave a message. Caller ID can help you screen calls, as can an answering machine ( I know someone who never picks up his phone, but waits to hear the start of the message to see if it's someone he wants to speak with. )

We can do better.

How about, instead of an answering machine, we could buy a "call management system?" Here's how it could work:
Utilizing caller ID, the system would allow you to sort your callers into categories:

1) I want to talk with you.
2) I might want to talk with you.
3) I don't want to talk with you.

Initially, all callers would be in category 2 - I might. But once you tell the machine to put it in another category (with one button, of course), the next call would be treated differently. And it would remember (perhaps even on a removable memory card).

If someone you want to talk with calls, the phone will ring, and an answer could be left if you are unavailable.

If someone you don't want to talk to calls, the phone doesn't even ring! They hear a message, "Dave is not taking your call right now." or whatever.

Why can't a machine do the call screening? We have the technology. We just need to put it together. Maybe someone has, but I'm not yet aware of it.

Inventors - have at it!

No comments:

Mac and Cheese Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles. The college student's treat. The staple of the thrifty. The ultimate convenience food. So here's another ramen noodl...