Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Damaged Bolt Remover

I'll be the first to admit - I'm not the only one with good ideas. A few weeks ago I discovered one from the Sears Tool Dept.
I was working on one of my cars, and came across a bolt that was pretty rusty and didn't want to come out. The head became rounded, and it was in such a spot that I really couldn't fit vice-grips on it. What to do? Then, I remembered that my son and his wife had given me a set of "Damaged Bolt Removers" from Sears a few years ago. I'd never used them. But I decided to give it a try.
They look like a funny-looking socket: instead of the 6 or 12-sided hole, there is a fluted, spiral-shaped hole. I found the one that fit snuggly onto the bolt in question, and . . . it came right out! The shape of the hole is such that as you try to unscrew it, the socket grabs tighter onto the bolt. It was VERY cool!
This is the sort of tool that will sit in your toolbox for long periods of time, but when you need it . . . it's exactly what you need. Thank you Sears! Go to their website, take a look. This is a really cool tool.

No comments:

Mac and Cheese Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles. The college student's treat. The staple of the thrifty. The ultimate convenience food. So here's another ramen noodl...